Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mean Girls

In this post, I'm going to take a moment to reference the beloved movie Mean Girls.  Like many girls, I used to be in love with this movie..... until I started living it.

As I've posted before, I have 9 chickens (3 brown, 6 white- I'm not racist).  They are about 5 months old and have begun laying their first eggs.  That was an exciting time in their growth.  But now they are going through a phase I have heard is called picking a "pecking order".  This means they establish who is the dominant hen by pecking at other hens until they give in- basically, bullying.  The hen on the bottom of the pecking order often gets pecked so much, they eventually kill her... seriously.

I watch these chickens enough to know each has a different personality.  If I were to give names at this point according to personality here's what it might be.


That's ^^ Regina George.  If my coop was US Weekly she'd be on the cover every week!  Just kidding, but for real.  She was the fastest to mature, the first to lay eggs, and established her dominance as the queen early on.


Gretchen Wieners.  Her comb is so big because it's full of secrets!  She follows Regina around and was next to lay eggs consistently.


Karen Smith.  Anytime I try and shoo her away or try to scare her, she sits and tries to get as close to the ground as possible.  Like if she gets far enough down, I can't reach her???  Not my brightest chick.


Janice Ian.  Digs little ditches to nest in and pecks at any chick walking by. Feisty and non-conforming.

 

Damian.  Not that she's gay.  I just picture her saying, "She doesn't even go here!"









These other 3 I'd consider the followers.  They aren't last in the pecking order, but they aren't first.  Because they seem so insecure about their spot, the just peck at whichever hen is the bottom.

Cady Heron- before she herself turned into a mean girl.  Vulnerable, bullied, and the bottom of the pecking order.  Since she is my favorite and I can't stand referring my favorite hen to Lindsey Lohan, I'll call her Rachel.  Rachel was the runt of my chicks and loved to cuddle with me.  Now she is the bottom of the pecking order.  Let me show you just what happens when  a chicken is at the bottom.




I found her like this today.  After cleaning and dressing her wound, I read more about this.  I got really concerned after I found out she could get killed from this.  I researched ways to prevent this and all I found was a cream to deter their attraction.  

Other efforts of mine include, distracting their boredom with fresh veggies, Vicks Vapor rub on beaks so they smell the same, cornstarch on her wound to hide the blood that makes the others go crazy, and pepper to lead them away. 

 I will report what works on my next blog, but pray for my girl.  If anyone knows another home remedy, I'm all ears!!





No comments:

Post a Comment